P3DFFT: A framework for parallel computations of Fourier transforms in three dimensions. Fourier and related transforms are a family of algorithms widely employed in diverse areas of computational science, notoriously difficult to scale on high-performance parallel computers with a large number of processing elements (cores). This paper introduces a popular software package called P3DFFT which implements fast Fourier transforms (FFTs) in three dimensions in a highly efficient and scalable way. It overcomes a well-known scalability bottleneck of three-dimensional (3D) FFT implementations by using two-dimensional domain decomposition. Designed for portable performance, P3DFFT achieves excellent timings for a number of systems and problem sizes. On a Cray XT5 system P3DFFT attains 45% efficiency in weak scaling from 128 to 65,536 computational cores. Library features include Fourier and Chebyshev transforms, Fortran and C interfaces, in- and out-of-place transforms, uneven data grids, and single and double precision. P3DFFT is available as open source at http://code.google.com/p/p3dfft/. This paper discusses P3DFFT implementation and performance in a way that helps guide the user in making optimal choices for parameters of their runs.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 29 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29.
- Ireland, Peter J.; Bragg, Andrew D.; Collins, Lance R.: The effect of Reynolds number on inertial particle dynamics in isotropic turbulence. I: Simulations without gravitational effects. (2016)
- Mortensen, Mikael; Langtangen, Hans Petter: High performance python for direct numerical simulations of turbulent flows (2016)
- Zamansky, R.; Coletti, F.; Massot, M.; Mani, A.: Turbulent thermal convection driven by heated inertial particles (2016)
- Delmotte, Blaise; Keaveny, Eric E.; Plouraboué, Franck; Climent, Eric: Large-scale simulation of steady and time-dependent active suspensions with the force-coupling method (2015)
- Ireland, Peter J.; Vaithianathan, T.; Sukheswalla, Parvez S.; Ray, Baidurja; Collins, Lance R.: Highly parallel particle-laden flow solver for turbulence research (2013)
- Pippig, Michael; Potts, Daniel: Parallel three-dimensional nonequispaced fast Fourier transforms and their application to particle simulation (2013)
- Pekurovsky, Dmitry: P3DFFT: A framework for parallel computations of Fourier transforms in three dimensions (2012)
- Laizet, Sylvain; Li, Ning: Incompact3d: A powerful tool to tackle turbulence problems with up to (O(10^5)) computational cores (2011)
- Schaefer, Philip; Gampert, Markus; Goebbert, Jens Henrik; Wang, Lipo; Peters, Norbert: Testing of model equations for the mean dissipation using Kolmogorov flows (2010)