A new open-source code for spherically symmetric stellar collapse to neutron stars and black holes. We present the new open-source spherically symmetric general-relativistic (GR) hydrodynamics code GR1D. It is based on the Eulerian formulation of GR hydrodynamics (GRHD) put forth by Romero-Ibáñez-Gourgoulhon and employs radial-gauge, polar-slicing coordinates in which the 3+1 equations simplify substantially. We discretize the GRHD equations with a finite-volume scheme, employing piecewise-parabolic reconstruction and an approximate Riemann solver. GR1D is intended for the simulation of stellar collapse to neutron stars and black holes and will also serve as a testbed for modeling technology to be incorporated in multi-D GR codes. Its GRHD part is coupled to various finite-temperature microphysical equations of state in tabulated form that we make available with GR1D. An approximate deleptonization scheme for the collapse phase and a neutrino-leakage/heating scheme for the postbounce epoch are included and described. We also derive the equations for effective rotation in 1D and implement them in GR1D. We present an array of standard test calculations and also show how simple analytic equations of state in combination with presupernova models from stellar evolutionary calculations can be used to study qualitative aspects of black hole formation in failing rotating core-collapse supernovae. In addition, we present a simulation with microphysical equations of state and neutrino leakage/heating of a failing core-collapse supernova and black hole formation in a presupernova model of a 40M ⊙ zero-age main-sequence star. We find good agreement on the time of black hole formation (within 20%) and last stable protoneutron star mass (within 10%) with predictions from simulations with full Boltzmann neutrino radiation hydrodynamics.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles , 2 standard articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Cipolletta, F.; Kalinani, J. V.; Giangrandi, E.; Giacomazzo, B.; Ciolfi, R.; Sala, L.; Giudici, B.: Spritz: general relativistic magnetohydrodynamics with neutrinos (2021)
- Rosca-Mead, Roxana; Moore, Christopher J.; Agathos, Michalis; Sperhake, Ulrich: Inverse-chirp signals and spontaneous scalarisation with self-interacting potentials in stellar collapse (2019)
- Wu, Kailiang; Tang, Huazhong: A direct Eulerian GRP scheme for spherically symmetric general relativistic hydrodynamics (2016)
- Löffler, Frank; Faber, Joshua; Bentivegna, Eloisa; Bode, Tanja; Diener, Peter; Haas, Roland; Hinder, Ian; Mundim, Bruno C.; Ott, Christian D.; Schnetter, Erik; Allen, Gabrielle; Campanelli, Manuela; Laguna, Pablo: The Einstein toolkit: a community computational infrastructure for relativistic astrophysics (2012)
- O’Connor, Evan; Ott, Christian D.: A new open-source code for spherically symmetric stellar collapse to neutron stars and black holes (2010)
- Ott, C. D.; O’Connor, E.: Studies of stellar collapse and black hole formation with the open-source code GR1D (2010)