DeepSurv: personalized treatment recommender system using a Cox proportional hazards deep neural network. Methods: We introduce DeepSurv, a Cox proportional hazards deep neural network and state-of-the-art survival method for modeling interactions between a patient’s covariates and treatment effectiveness in order to provide personalized treatment recommendations. Results: We perform a number of experiments training DeepSurv on simulated and real survival data. We demonstrate that DeepSurv performs as well as or better than other state-of-the-art survival models and validate that DeepSurv successfully models increasingly complex relationships between a patient’s covariates and their risk of failure. We then show how DeepSurv models the relationship between a patient’s features and effectiveness of different treatment options to show how DeepSurv can be used to provide individual treatment recommendations. Finally, we train DeepSurv on real clinical studies to demonstrate how it’s personalized treatment recommendations would increase the survival time of a set of patients. Conclusions: The predictive and modeling capabilities of DeepSurv will enable medical researchers to use deep neural networks as a tool in their exploration, understanding, and prediction of the effects of a patient’s characteristics on their risk of failure.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Jia, Yichen; Jeong, Jong-Hyeon: Deep learning for quantile regression under right censoring: deepquantreg (2022)
- Ha, Il Do; Lee, Youngjo: A review of h-likelihood for survival analysis (2021)
- Kovalev, Maxim; Utkin, Lev; Coolen, Frank; Konstantinov, Andrei: Counterfactual explanation of machine learning survival models (2021)
- Kvamme, Håvard; Borgan, Ørnulf: Continuous and discrete-time survival prediction with neural networks (2021)
- Haider, Humza; Hoehn, Bret; Davis, Sarah; Greiner, Russell: Effective ways to build and evaluate individual survival distributions (2020)
- Kovalev, Maxim S.; Utkin, Lev V.: A robust algorithm for explaining unreliable machine learning survival models using the Kolmogorov-Smirnov bounds (2020)
- Kvamme, Håvard; Borgan, Ørnulf; Scheel, Ida: Time-to-event prediction with neural networks and Cox regression (2019)