TacticToe: learning to reason with HOL4 tactics. Techniques combining machine learning with translation to automated reasoning have recently become an important component of formal proof assistants. Such ”hammer” tech- niques complement traditional proof assistant automation as implemented by tactics and decision procedures. In this paper we present a unified proof assistant automation approach which attempts to automate the selection of appropriate tactics and tactic-sequences com- bined with an optimized small-scale hammering approach. We implement the technique as a tactic-level automation for HOL4: TacticToe. It implements a modified A*-algorithm directly in HOL4 that explores different tactic-level proof paths, guiding their selection by learning from a large number of previous tactic-level proofs. Unlike the existing hammer methods, TacticToe avoids translation to FOL, working directly on the HOL level. By combining tactic prediction and premise selection, TacticToe is able to re-prove 39 percent of 7902 HOL4 theorems in 5 seconds whereas the best single HOL(y)Hammer strategy solves 32 percent in the same amount of time.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Gauthier, Thibault; Kaliszyk, Cezary; Urban, Josef; Kumar, Ramana; Norrish, Michael: TacticToe: learning to prove with tactics (2021)
- Macke, Jaroslav; Sedlar, Jiri; Olsak, Miroslav; Urban, Josef; Sivic, Josef: Learning to solve geometric construction problems from images (2021)
- Zhang, Liao; Blaauwbroek, Lasse; Piotrowski, Bartosz; Černỳ, Prokop; Kaliszyk, Cezary; Urban, Josef: Online machine learning techniques for Coq: a comparison (2021)
- Goertzel, Zarathustra; Jakubův, Jan; Schulz, Stephan; Urban, Josef: ProofWatch: watchlist guidance for large theories in E (2018)
- Piotrowski, Bartosz; Urban, Josef: ATPboost: learning premise selection in binary setting with ATP feedback (2018)
- Gauthier, Thibault; Kaliszyk, Cezary; Urban, Josef: TacticToe: learning to reason with HOL4 tactics (2017)