The Model Coupling Toolkit: A New Fortran90 Toolkit for Building Multiphysics Parallel Coupled Models. Many problems in science and engineering are best simulated as a set of mutually interacting models, resulting in a coupled or multiphysics model. These models present challenges stemming from their interdisciplinary nature and from their computational and algorithmic complexities. The computational complexity of individual models, combined with the popularity of the distributed-memory parallel programming model used on commodity micro-processor-based clusters, results in a parallel coupling problem when building a coupled model. We define and elucidate this problem and how it results in a set of requirements for software capable of simplifying the construction of parallel coupled models. We describe the package, the Model Coupling Toolkit (MCT), which we have developed to meet these general requirements and the specific requirements of a parallel climate model. We present the MCT programming model with illustrative code examples. We present representative results that measure MCT’s scalability, performance portability, and a proxy for coupling overhead.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Li, Yipeng; Chen, Qiao; Wang, Xuebin; Jiao, Xiangmin: WLS-ENO remap: superconvergent and non-oscillatory weighted least squares data transfer on surfaces (2020)
- Naseri, Alireza; Totounferoush, Amin; González, Ignacio; Mehl, Miriam; Pérez-Segarra, Carlos David: A scalable framework for the partitioned solution of fluid-structure interaction problems (2020)
- Bungartz, Hans-Joachim; Lindner, Florian; Gatzhammer, Bernhard; Mehl, Miriam; Scheufele, Klaudius; Shukaev, Alexander; Uekermann, Benjamin: preCICE -- a fully parallel library for multi-physics surface coupling (2016)
- Ji, Yingsheng; Zhang, Yingzhuo; Yang, Guangwen: Interpolation oriented parallel communication to optimize coupling in earth system modeling (2014) ioport
- de Carvalho, Francisco Heron jun.; de Rezende, Cenez Araújo: A case study on expressiveness and performance of component-oriented parallel programming (2013) ioport
- De Cecchis, D.; Drummond, L. A.; Castillo, J. E.: Design of a distributed coupling toolkit for high performance computing environment (2013)
- Bouziane, Hinde Lilia; Pérez, Christian; Priol, Thierry: Extending software component models with the master-worker paradigm (2010)
- Ong, E. T.; Larson, J. W.; Jacob, R. L.: A real application of the model coupling toolkit (2002)