MRAG-I2D: multi-resolution adapted grids for remeshed vortex methods on multicore architectures. We present MRAG-I2D, an open source software framework, for multiresolution simulations of two-dimensional, incompressible, viscous flows on multicore architectures. The spatiotemporal scales of the flow field are captured by remeshed vortex methods enhanced by high order average-interpolating wavelets and local time-stepping. The multiresolution solver of the Poisson equation relies on the development of a novel, tree-based multipole method. MRAG-I2D implements a number of HPC strategies to map efficiently the irregular computational workload of wavelet-adapted grids on multicore nodes. The capabilities of the present software are compared to the current state-of-the-art in terms of accuracy, compression rates and time-to-solution. Benchmarks include the inviscid evolution of an elliptical vortex, flow past an impulsively started cylinder at Re=40−40000 and simulations of self-propelled anguilliform swimmers. The results indicate that the present software has the same or better accuracy than state-of-the-art solvers while it exhibits unprecedented performance in terms of time-to-solution.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 11 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11.
- Bhosale, Yashraj; Parthasarathy, Tejaswin; Gazzola, Mattia: A remeshed vortex method for mixed rigid/soft body fluid-structure interaction (2021)
- Mimeau, Chloé; Marié, Simon; Mortazavi, Iraj: A comparison of semi-Lagrangian vortex method and lattice Boltzmann method for incompressible flows (2021)
- Deiterding, Ralf; Domingues, Margarete Oliveira; Schneider, Kai: Multiresolution analysis as a criterion for effective dynamic mesh adaptation -- a case study for Euler equations in the SAMR framework AMROC (2020)
- Yu, Fei; Guo, Zhenlin; Lowengrub, John: Higher-order accurate diffuse-domain methods for partial differential equations with Dirichlet boundary conditions in complex, evolving geometries (2020)
- Gillis, T.; Marichal, Y.; Winckelmans, G.; Chatelain, P.: A 2D immersed interface vortex particle-mesh method (2019)
- Cottet, Georges-Henri: Semi-Lagrangian particle methods for high-dimensional Vlasov-Poisson systems (2018)
- Kolomenskiy, Dmitry; Nave, Jean-Christophe; Schneider, Kai: Adaptive gradient-augmented level set method with multiresolution error estimation (2016)
- Lepilliez, Mathieu; Popescu, Elena Roxana; Gibou, Frederic; Tanguy, Sébastien: On two-phase flow solvers in irregular domains with contact line (2016)
- Mimeau, C.; Cottet, G.-H.; Mortazavi, I.: Direct numerical simulations of three-dimensional flows past obstacles with a vortex penalization method (2016)
- Rossi, E.; Colagrossi, A.; Durante, D.; Graziani, G.: Simulating 2D viscous flow around geometries with vertices through the diffused vortex hydrodynamics method (2016)
- Rossinelli, Diego; Hejazialhosseini, Babak; van Rees, Wim; Gazzola, Mattia; Bergdorf, Michael; Koumoutsakos, Petros: \textitMRAG-I2D: multi-resolution adapted grids for remeshed vortex methods on multicore architectures (2015)