GRChombo: numerical relativity with adaptive mesh refinement. In this work, we introduce GRChombo: a new numerical relativity code which incorporates full adaptive mesh refinement (AMR) using block structured Berger-Rigoutsos grid generation. The code supports non-trivial `many-boxes-in-many-boxes’ mesh hierarchies and massive parallelism through the message passing interface. GRChombo evolves the Einstein equation using the standard BSSN formalism, with an option to turn on CCZ4 constraint damping if required. The AMR capability permits the study of a range of new physics which has previously been computationally infeasible in a full 3+1 setting, while also significantly simplifying the process of setting up the mesh for these problems. We show that GRChombo can stably and accurately evolve standard spacetimes such as binary black hole mergers and scalar collapses into black holes, demonstrate the performance characteristics of our code, and discuss various physics problems which stand to benefit from the AMR technique.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 9 articles , 1 standard article )
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9.
- Meringolo, C.; Servidio, S.; Veltri, P.: A spectral method algorithm for numerical simulations of gravitational fields (2021)
- Nazari, Zainab; Cicoli, Michele; Clough, Katy; Muia, Francesco: Oscillon collapse to black holes (2021)
- Figueras, Pau; França, Tiago: Gravitational collapse in cubic Horndeski theories (2020)
- Muia, Francesco; Cicoli, Michele; Clough, Katy; Pedro, Francisco; Quevedo, Fernando; Vacca, Gian Paolo: The fate of dense scalar stars (2019)
- Bastero-Gil, Mar; Berera, Arjun; Brandenberger, Robert; Moss, Ian G.; Ramos, Rudnei O.; Rosa, João G.: The role of fluctuation-dissipation dynamics in setting initial conditions for inflation (2018)
- Gorghetto, Marco; Hardy, Edward; Villadoro, Giovanni: Axions from strings: the attractive solution (2018)
- Clough, Katy; Lim, Eugene A.; DiNunno, Brandon S.; Fischler, Willy; Flauger, Raphael; Paban, Sonia: Robustness of inflation to inhomogeneous initial conditions (2017)
- Hatori, Tomoharu; Ito, Atsushi M.; Nunami, Masanori; Usui, Hideyuki; Miura, Hideaki: Level-by-level artificial viscosity and visualization for MHD simulation with adaptive mesh refinement (2016)
- Clough, Katy; Figueras, Pau; Finkel, Hal; Kunesch, Markus; Lim, Eugene A.; Tunyasuvunakool, Saran: GRChombo: numerical relativity with adaptive mesh refinement (2015)
Further publications can be found at: http://grchombo.github.io/papers.html