Numerical solution of the 2 + 1 Teukolsky equation on a hyperboloidal and horizon penetrating foliation of Kerr and application to late-time decays. In this work, we present a formulation of the Teukolsky equation for generic spin perturbations on the hyperboloidal and horizon penetrating foliation of Kerr recently proposed by Rácz and Tóth. An additional, spin-dependent rescaling of the field variable can be used to achieve stable, long-term and accurate time-domain evolutions of generic spin perturbations. As an application (and a severe numerical test), we investigate the late-time decays of electromagnetic and gravitational perturbations at the horizon and future null infinity by means of 2 + 1 evolutions. As initial data we consider four combinations of (non-)stationary and (non-)compact-support initial data with a pure spin-weighted spherical harmonic profile. We present an extensive study of late-time decays of axisymmetric perturbations. We verify the power-law decay rates predicted analytically, together with a certain ’splitting’ behaviour of the power-law exponent. We also present results for non-axisymmetric perturbations. In particular, our approach allows us to study the behaviour of the late-time decays of gravitational fields for nearly extremal and extremal black holes. For rapid rotation we observe a very prolonged, weakly damped, quasi-normal-mode phase. For extremal rotation, the field at future null infinity shows an oscillatory behaviour decaying as the inverse power of time, while at the horizon it is amplified by several orders of magnitude over long timescales. This behaviour can be understood in terms of the superradiance cavity argument.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 7 articles )
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7.
- Markakis, Charalampos; O’Boyle, Michael F.; Brubeck, Pablo D.; Barack, Leor: Discontinuous collocation methods and gravitational self-force applications (2021)
- Macedo, Rodrigo Panosso: Hyperboloidal framework for the Kerr spacetime (2020)
- Tóth, Gábor Zsolt: Noether currents for the Teukolsky master equation (2018)
- Harms, Enno; Bernuzzi, Sebastiano; Nagar, Alessandro; Zenginoğlu, Anıl: A new gravitational wave generation algorithm for particle perturbations of the Kerr spacetime (2014)
- Panosso Macedo, Rodrigo; Ansorg, Marcus: Axisymmetric fully spectral code for hyperbolic equations (2014)
- Schinkel, David; Panosso Macedo, Rodrigo; Ansorg, Marcus: Axisymmetric constant mean curvature slices in the Kerr spacetime (2014)
- Harms, Enno; Bernuzzi, Sebastiano; Brügmann, Bernd: Numerical solution of the 2 + 1 Teukolsky equation on a hyperboloidal and horizon penetrating foliation of Kerr and application to late-time decays (2013)