A parallel adaptive mesh method for the numerical simulation of multiphase flows. Methodology for performing large scale parallel numerical simulations of two-phase flow is presented that uses a three-dimensional (3-D) finite element method (FEM) solver, PHASTA, to perform the simulation and a parallel mesh adaptation code, phParAdapt, to iteratively refine and coarsen regions of the solution domain. This version of PHASTA uses a stabilized FEM to discretize the 3-D Incompressible Navier-Stokes (INS) equations plus a level set method to capture the two-phase interface. The phParAdapt code takes the current parallel mesh along with the PHASTA flow solution and, using various user-specified correction indicators as input, performs a parallel mesh refinement/coarsening procedure. Utilizing local mesh modification operators, element sizes are adjusted to equally distribute the errors across the distributed mesh during the mesh refinement/coarsening procedure. Numerical simulations ranging from simple canonical test problems up to an experimental annular steam/water flow condition were performed to illustrate this methodology. The annular flow simulation captured the instabilities that generate both the ripple and roll wave like structures on the steam/water interface and the droplet entrainment mechanisms expected in annular two-phase flows.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 6 articles )
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6.
- Rasthofer, Ursula; Gravemeier, Volker: Recent developments in variational multiscale methods for large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow (2018)
- Ma, Jingsen; Hsiao, Chao-Tsung; Chahine, Georges L.: A physics based multiscale modeling of cavitating flows (2017)
- Tran, Steven; Cummings, Reed; Sahni, Onkar: Finite element based large eddy simulation of flow over bluff bodies (2017)
- Gong, Chunye; Bao, Weimin; Liu, Jie; Tang, Guojian; Jiang, Yuewen: An efficient wavefront parallel algorithm for structured three dimensional LU-SGS (2016)
- Mirzadeh, Mohammad; Guittet, Arthur; Burstedde, Carsten; Gibou, Frederic: Parallel level-set methods on adaptive tree-based grids (2016)
- Rodriguez, Joseph M.; Sahni, Onkar; Lahey, Richard T.; Jansen, Kenneth E.: A parallel adaptive mesh method for the numerical simulation of multiphase flows (2013)