FDEM: How we make the FDM more flexible than the FEM. The finite difference element method (FDEM) is a black-box solver for the solution of systems of nonlinear elliptic and parabolic partial differential equations PDEs. An algorithm has been developed to generate on an unstructured FEM grid difference formulas of arbitrary consistency order $q$.par From the difference of difference formulas of different consistency order, an estimate of the discretization error is obtained. An error equation permits the explicit following of all errors and gives the prescriptions for the selfadaptation of the method. Coupled domains with different PDEs and different nonmatching grids that slide relative to each other can be treated and a global error estimate is computed.par Thus, we get an finite difference method (FDM) that is in all aspects more flexible than the finite element method (FEM). The whole code is efficiently parallelized on distributed memory parallel computers.
Keywords for this software
References in zbMATH (referenced in 8 articles )
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8.
- Maksimyuk, V. A.; Storozhuk, E. A.; Chernyshenko, I. S.: Variational finite difference methods in linear and nonlinear problems of the deformation of metallic and composite shells (review) (2012)
- Adolph, Torsten; Schönauer, Willi; Koch, Roman; Knoll, Gunter: Capability of FDEM for journal bearings with microstructured surface (2010)
- Bieniasz, L. K.: Experiments with a local adaptive grid (h)-refinement for the finite-difference solution of BVPs in singularly perturbed second-order ODEs (2008)
- Adolph, Torsten; Schönauer, Willi: The application of a black-box solver with error estimate to different systems of PDEs (2007)
- Schönauer, Willi; Adolph, Torsten: FDEM: How we make the FDM more flexible than the FEM (2003)
- Barton, I. E.; Markham-Smith, D.; Bressloff, N.: Finite volume scheme for the solution of fluid flow problems on unstructured non-staggered grids (2002)
- Häfner, Hartmut; Schönauer, Willi: The integration of different variants of the (I)LU algorithm in the LINSOL program package (2002)
- Schönauer, Willi; Häfner, Hartmut: Numerical experiments to optimize the use of (I)LU preconditioning in the iterative linear solver package LINSOL (2002)